Wednesday, April 28, 2010

An Acquisition

Dear Diary, what an excitement this morning! I know that sometimes I do tend to go on about Niece, but this morning she came up trumps. Such a lovely girl, well woman then.

I awoke, still down in the doldrums. Upon opening the drapes I was awestruck by the glorious sunrise. A blue/orange dappled sky, all the world like a horse's coat, except for the colours. The gum trees created an illusion of distance, the magpies warbled in a high-up branch that overhangs the road, and the galahs screamed their welcome to the day.

I heard a noise outside my door, a sort of scuffling sound. Of course my mind ran instantly to mice, or their larger cousins, the rat. Please, no rodents! The sound carried on for a moment, and was broken by Niece's agitated voice asking if I could please open the door. I knew a crisis was at hand. Niece seldom sounds agitated; she is one of those people who has the world ordered to suit her requirements.

I hurried, because I am feeling brighter and more agile this morning, and swung open the door. Niece, her face red with exertion staggered into the boudoir carrying, what at first glance, appeared to be a large wooden box. I stared, perplexed.

"Aunt Alice", she gasped, "please clear the end of the little table for me."

I hastened to obey, curious to see what was in the box.

She placed it carefully away from the table edge, turned it around, and there, Dear Diary, sat an aquarium. In it two small goldfish swam around in no more than two inches of water.

Niece said that she would be back, and three and a half minutes later, she almost ran in, carrying a bucket of water and some plants.

Dear Diary, you should see the aquarium. It is delightful. The fish swim around and around and around and around in circles. It's a real wonder they don't become dizzy! Wait til I tell Harold about this new acquisition.

And yes, Dear Diary, before you think scolding thoughts, I did thank Niece ... in fact I hugged her and kissed her, quickly, on the cheek.

No comments: