Sunday, June 6, 2010

A Peace Pact

Dear Diary, All is well! As Niece walked down the path she heard the sound of chatter and laughter. It was with a light heart that she bounced into the lounge, guessing that the crisis was over. Karen rushed to her mother, hugged her, apologised profusely, and announced she would be honoured to wear the wedding dress.

Surreptitious signs were made which Niece accepted and taking the hint hugged Karen and said she would be proud to have her daughter wearing her wedding dress. The part that astounded me, Dear Diary, was the small addition to that statement; Niece in offering to help Karen in any way Karen wished, made it plain that she would have to be asked. Before my eyes the relationship, precarious a few hours ago, made significant steps towards consolidation. I was proud of them both. Dear Diary, I couldn't help the small tear that came to my eyes; this was a beautiful moment.

What happened next was unbelievable had I not been a witness. Niece suggested a small drink to mark the occasion. Dear Diary, it is still morning! Karen offered to get them, and when Niece said the sherry was in the corner of the china cabinet I noticed a look cross Karen's face. Sherry is so old hat to the young of today; but commonsense prevailed. She smiled, poured the drinks, and we toasted each other to a successful day.

It was a day of surprises. Later Karen and Jake, after a whispering session on the couch, announced we were all welcome to go to the Square dancing with them after the evening meal. Another unknown side of Karen and Jake was emerging. Neither Niece nor I had any idea these young folks were interested in Square dancing, which can be difficult to learn, but fun once the steps are mastered. So Dear Diary, later we are off to the local hall and will dosados and promenade until we drop from exhaustion. I hate to contemplate how many years since I Square danced!

No comments: