Monday, June 21, 2010

Au revoir

Dear Diary, This morning I woke to the sound of people clattering around, the banging of car doors, and voices. It sounded as though it were Karen and Jake! What was happening?

I dressed hurriedly, and on my way into the kitchen almost ran into Karen as she bounced into the room they occupied.

"Morning Karen," I greeted.

"Hi Aunt Alice", she warbled back.

Honestly Dear Diary, she is becoming more like her mother every day. Perhaps as she ages she will develop Niece's figure as well? What is the old wives tale? Look at the mother when choosing a wife. Never a truer statement! I remember a skinny young girl whose mother was buxom. I always imagined the girl would grow up to look like her father, a morose, skinny, and not possessing a sunny character, unlike the mother. In fact they were a couple so unalike that one had a tough job imaging how they met. Anyway, I met the daughter many years later at her mother's funeral, and there she stood; a photo image of her mother! I was astounded Dear Diary. Do you think I should whisper in Jake's ear a small word as to the future? No. Perhaps not. After all Niece is similar in body shape to most women of her age.

"You're up early Karen!"

"Oh Aunt, didn't you know? Jake and I are heading off shortly. But we will be back in time for the wedding, when we set a date. I have Mother's wedding dress and hope to find a suitable dress for an attendant in a similar style. It shouldn't be too difficult? And I need shoes and headgear to keep the style of the era. You know Aunt, this will be a lot of fun sorting out exactly what is right!"

I must have looked as blank as I felt. Only the other day there was no talk of departure. When I gave the matter a little thought I realised that Karen and Jake were doing the wisest thing. This house had enough excitement to last for weeks, or even months. Niece did need time to settle down; to become used to having a daughter; and most of all time to think through the wedding preparations, and how she could best help without being over-powering and a hindrance.

"Karen, I have so enjoyed meeting you and Jake, and your company. I look forward to your return!"

I was magnanimous in my short speech. Not for me the ruffling of the family pond.

Stretching up I hugged Karen's tall frame, planted a gentle kiss on her cheek, and as Jake entered the hallway at that moment, I extended my hand to him, and wished them both well.

Dear Diary, a respite from the endless merry-go-round that life had become.

No comments: