Sunday, June 27, 2010

Household Chores

Dear Diary, While Niece has not mentioned yesterday's afternoon tea party, my mind is still swirling at the injustices those women tried to heap upon her shoulders. As I tossed and turned during the night, sleep evading me until after midnight, I composed pithy speeches in retaliation to those nosey questions. Slowly sleep crept over me, and upon waking this morning I realised the best action was no action. To throw hasty words around willy-nilly only adds to the situation. Best we let them wonder and in their wondering, perhaps they might come to the conclusion that we had acted as reasonable women, when we could have shown a nasty side.

We pottered around tidying up. I contemplated taking out the tricycle, but the wind was cool, and really my heart was not in an outing; I have no wish to come across those women today!

Niece decided she would fill the cake tins. No doubt the lack of a proper afternoon tea prompted that decision? She had read a recipe for Mini Banoffee Pies that promise to add inches to the waistline. I did think a few taken over the street might be nice, but Niece considered my comment facetious! Hester has a few of her wonderful gingernuts in the biscuit barrel; these would form the base for the mini Banoffee pies. As shortbread is my weakness she added that to the list, and thought perhaps a mud cake; surely enough to last a few days.

Two women in the baking kitchen is one too many!

Knowing the garden needed tidying; those gum leaves continue to fall distracting from the petunia flowers that have come into their own since two minor rainfalls. Grabbing the rake I moved many of the leaves. The petunias are glorious! Never had I attempted to grow petunias before, thinking them too delicate. How wrong I was! Before I planted seedlings I did mix, in the wheelbarrow, a bag of compost and half a bag of cow manure, and spread it all over the flower gardens, and roughly dug them in. The results were worth the effort.

Not realising how quickly the time flew, it seemed only moments before Niece was calling Phil and I in for a cuppa ... I wonder which treat she will serve us?

No comments: