Sunday, May 2, 2010

An Over-abundance of Water

Dear Diary, Harold and I sat out on my little patio where I was being educated in the rudiments of Canasta. I fear my life education is sadly lacking. Cards never played a part in my formative years; in fact my parents looked down their noses at 'others who gambled', and that included cards. Hearing Harold speak in such glowing terms of what he considers a social activity, I allowed myself to be persuaded to learn Canasta. What a difficult game it is! I found the hand of cards he dealt me almost too large to hold, and as for fanning them out ... I have a lot to learn. Frankly Dear Diary I prefer Scrabble, but to humour Harold I will persevere for another day or two.

We we sitting out on the little patio, a teapot nearby, when I heard Niece entering my room. I had, wrongly I now know, assumed that my room was MY ROOM. She was poking around, moving my treasures ... I know the sound of my Lladro ballet dancer being slid across the shiny wooden surface of my display shelf ... that particular figurine was a present from an admirer over 20 years ago.

Not being pleased at an invasion I flung open the door with its stained glass picture of a red rose on its upper half; frightening Niece in the process. She dropped the ballet dancer, which thankfully didn't break. It did knock against the aquarium that I inadvertently had balanced too close to the edge of the table underneath the display shelf, and sent the aquarium crashing to the floor. Poor Greensmith and Redshaw! They lay, gasping out of water, on the carpet, which was dripping wet in the vicinity of the accident.

Horrified, forgetting to read the riot act to Niece for her unwarranted intrusion, I bent down to retrieve my dear goldfish. Niece look suitably subdued! Serves her right! She set about mopping up the water before I reminded her that my fish were without a home. Chastened she hurried out of the room, and bringing back a bucket of water, filled the tank enabling me to return Greensmith and Redshaw to their rightful home.

Perhaps Niece will keep to her own domain in future. Harold departed rather promptly as the incident progressed. I do hope I wasn't too strident in my retorts to Niece!

No comments: