Friday, May 14, 2010

A Mishap

Dear Diary, Yesterday progressed extremely well. Niece and I had what could almost be described as a 'Mother ~ daughter' day. That man of hers came up trumps by arriving home when we were still engrossed in stitching. He took one look in the door, went right back out, only to arrive back within half an hour with a takeaway Indian meal. Altogether the day was a diamond day!

This morning I rose sharp, feeling particularly benevolent. For a change I made my way to the kitchen, knowing that no-one else had risen, and prepared breakfast. One good turn deserves another! Scrambled eggs, crispy bacon, and crumpets were cooked to perfection when Niece came in. The look on her face was one of pure shock! I really must endeavour to be more helpful around the house, and while not making breakfast the same morning every week, I will undertake that little task weekly; the day will be a surprise.

After breakfast I returned to my room. Greensmith and Redshaw needed their water changed. Not altogether a task of which I strictly like, but needs must. In order to dispose of the water I opened the patio doors with the intention of tossing the water onto the garden; not that it really needed watering after the downpour yesterday, but much better than tipping it down the toilet, which does make my nose turn up. If I were Greensmith and Redshaw I don't think I would like my home disposed off down the toilet!

I had a plastic bag with a little water in the bottom, and a big baking bowl that I commandeered from the kitchen. Greensmith and Redshaw, captured with relative ease, were safely ensconced in the plastic bag, the top securely clipped with one of those rather wonderful kitchen inventions, a pink plastic peg-like contraption made for the express purpose of closing bags before returning them to the freezer chest. Just as I was carefully, very carefully emptying the aquarium, which is a rather small piece of equipment and only suitable for two fish, being careful not to upend the plants, a movement near my feet caused me to look down. In horror I noticed a fluffy white cat eyeing my fishy friends with a hungry look!

Blondie, the cat from next door, who spends more time in Niece's garden than in her own backyard, often creeps into the house. Usually we see her coming and with a loud "Scram" chase her outdoors. This time she had sneaked in whilst I was employed doing other things!

Blondie taking umbrage with my tone of voice leapt towards my knees, knocking me forward. The aquarium slid from my hands; the plants scattered on the carpet, and I let out a terrified roar! Blondie ran outside, to safety!

Niece must have heard the din; and no doubt concerned with my scream of outrage and fear, rushed into the room. There I was Dear Diary, sprawled on the carpet, my head resting on the seat of the chair, the aquarium near my feet and my clothes saturated with aquarium water. Deeply distressed I did not know what to do. Niece helped me to my feet, but I was in such a state of shock, she pushed me into the chair ... before I fell taking her with me.

Thankfully Niece kept her cool. Hurrying to the linen cupboard she grabbed a huge towel and began mopping up the mess. I rescued the plants, we put the aquarium to rights, filled it with fresh water, returned Greensmith and Redshaw to their abode, and headed for the kitchen and a resuscitating cup of tea.

No comments: