Monday, May 10, 2010

Monday is Washday

Dear Diary, Autumn has arrived. It was almost cold this morning, which caused me to search through my wardrobe for my fleecy housecoat, and fluffy slippers. I know they are somewhere! After all it has been six months or more since I wore them last.

I know many folks love Monday's; I do, once I have been up for a couple of hours. Niece is definitely old fashioned in her ways and demands the beds all be stripped and bedding washed on a Monday. Sometimes I expect to see her lighting the copper, not that she has one, and setting up a tub with blue impregnated water for rinsing. Nor would I put it past her to starch pillow cases! She is over zealous at times.

Dutifully, remembering our moment of tenderness and kindness yesterday, I pulled the duvet back, stripped of the sheets and the pillow cases, and carried them to the laundry. Already Niece was busy. The washing machine was making those swirring noises associated with hard work, and the laundry basket sat in the centre of the floor with tea towels and table cloths, that require laundering first. I thought about asking why we needed to keep to the old rules as regards washing when we have automatic washing machines that empty out after each cycle ... but ... I decided against it.

What I love especially is when the lavender bushes are flowering and Niece throws the sheets over them to dry. Such a delightful perfume in the bed; so conducive to a restful sleep. There is nothing more pleasant on this whole earth than sleeping in freshly laundered bedding perfumed with lavender!

Sometimes, when I remember; sadly my memory does have those moments of forgetfulness, which I am often reminded is due to the 'aging process' ... what a ridiculous phrase for maturing ... after washing my hair under the shower I will tip a jug of rosemary scented water over my head for the final rinse. Often I forget. It is only when I am drying my long tresses that it suddenly dawns, I should have rinsed with rosemary!

Niece casually mentioned that she intended going into town later in the morning, for a little shopping, and perhaps a visit to the local Museum, which was holding a special exhibition. Would I like to go? Dear Diary, when have I ever turned down an invitation to an outing? In response to her generous offer I picked up the clothes basket, pulled on the peg apron, and helped peg out the wash. The sooner that is on the line swaying in the strong breeze the sooner we leave for town. Dear Diary, Niece also mentioned lunch at a delightful eating-house. Today has the makings of a great excitement!

No comments: