Monday, August 2, 2010

Workday Monday

Dear Diary, Mondays are busy days ... it has always been a policy of mine to tackle housework on a Monday, with the thought in mind that Tuesday can be a 'me day'; a day when I can indulge myself and not worry about tidying or cleaning. As I share this house with Niece I consider it my duty to help with the cleaning. Niece is rather pig-headed and tries to insist I keep out of her way.

Not that I would dream of going into the master bedroom! When passing the open door I am often dumbfounded at the state of the floor. Phil is untidy! Perhaps I should qualify that ... Phil is a man who has no idea of tidiness. He has shoes lying all over the floor and how either of them navigate their way to the door is beyond me. Poor Niece; she does try.

My quarters are my domain, and are in keeping with my work ethos. Keep it tidy all the time and no major clean-up is required. Shoes go into their rack at the bottom of the wardrobe; clothes that will do another turn are hung up. It is a simple ethic. Every so often, particularly on a beautiful, almost spring day like today, I undertake a mini spring clean. The bed is changed; the mattress protector washed; the duvet cover washed and hung out in the morning fresh air. Mats are shaken and the carpet swept. The furniture is polished with a wonderful lavender scented polish, and the lace curtains washed and hung out to dry. By mid afternoon everything was dry, bedding back on the bed and the curtains hung on shiny windows. There is a great deal of pleasure to be obtained from such a spring clean!

Tomorrow Dear Diary I will have a day to myself, a day when I can, if I choose, sit in my room, or out on the patio if the day is as lovely as today, and read.

What the rest of the household gets up to is their business. My sense of achievement today overcomes the feeling of tiredness.

No comments: